Thursday, November 29, 2007

New Directions in Instructional Design and Technology

I guess you can say the best was saved for last. The beginning of this book was a slow read. However, the ending is very interesting in that it discusses effective online learning, issues regarding resuability of instructional systems, rich media learning, the spectrum of technologies available in the future and looking at the future of technology in learning.

I think the future in technology and learning is very promising. For example, I zeroed in the section about Distributed Learning. This chapter talked about the large amount of virtual universities availabile of online. I was aware of several online universities but, I did not know the number had reached 263 accredited institutions.

Distributed learning is also used in a corporate setting. I have worked at USC for the last seven years. Traditionally, required training was done in the university's training facilities. However, recently the university has outsourced its mandatory training to a consultant that develops training courses online. USC has over 8,000 employees thus, this online training is more efficient than having 8,000 employees leave their departments to go to a mandatory training.

I really like the idea of virtual communities. I think this concept will work with the outreach program I am currently at; allowing students to get involved in peer tutoring, mentoring and other projects that can be administered online.

As I mentioned in Kellie Kong's blog I do think that Instructional Technology Designers should be credentialed. Credentials will solidify this field and also assign a professional label to them.

No comments: